Lucidchart and OmniGraffle both offer customizable dashboard document management and collaboration, but how do they differ?
Lucidchart is a powerful diagramming software where your ideas can come to life. It allows users from anywhere in the world to collaborate through this professional services automation software, drawing graphs, and diagrams and setting up processes.
OmniGraffle is a similar diagramming and visual platform, where professionals can communicate visually with one another to share ideas and work together.
What we cover
Unique Features of Lucidchart
- Lucidchart is designed for users to create and share enterprise processes wherever they are located on any device or browser.
- Lucidchart’s suite of tools are accessible across mobile, web and desktop.
- As a web-based solution, connectivity is a core value.
Unique Features of OmniGraffle
- OmniGraffle is ideal for presenting data-rich company graphs, creating wireframes and screen flows. OmniGraffle’s capability is put to powerful use, for example, to create custom reports, a resource capacity planner, and training documentation webinars
- OmniGraffle’s integration technology puts the Apple Pencil and Apple Touch Bar in the user’s toolkit
Which Is Better – Lucidchart vs OmniGraffle?
Lucidchart is cloud-based and compatible across:
- Mac, Windows, and Linux operating systems
- iPhone and Android
- Lucidchart integrates with MS Office, Google Workspace, Atlassian and other leading platforms
- You can access and install Lucidchart from web stores like Chrome and the Microsoft store
Lucidchart has an offline mode, allowing users to work on files without an internet connection.
OmniGraffle is a traditional desktop product. The tool is compatible across:
- Mac, iPad and iPhone (mobile access is an option for Windows users)
- OmniGraffle software can be installed via download from the website
- The Mac version can be obtained from Apple’s Mac app store; the iOS store to access mobile app
- Java language integration is built into OmniGraffle
Templates and Dashboard Tools
Lucidchart has an impressive template library comprising hundreds of easy-to-navigate templates for most every diagram type. Templates are fully customizable, so you can create an array of structures or network diagrams for in-house or client projects.
OmniGraffle comes with several templates included. It’s very easy to create your own, or import external data. Tools include: shape, line, text, pen, style brush, point editor.
Both have a decent selection of stencils.
File Import and Export
With Lucid software you can import data from:
- Google Sheets, Excel, Salesforce, and a host of other applications including MS Visio
- Lucidchart can import and edit OmniGraffle files (with paid plans)
In Lucidchart, you can export in multiple formats including:
- PNG, JPEG, PNG, PDF or SVG as well as a Visio file or CSV.
OmniGraffle can import a range of different file types:
- vsd, .vsdx, .vdx, .vst, .vtx, .vss, .vsx
- SVG import is possible by pasting the SVG code directly into the workspace.
OmniGraffle’s export formats include:
- JPG, GIF, PDF, TIFF and PSD.
- Multi-resolution punch-ups are achieved with the push of a button.
Overall User Interface
Lucidchart presents a slick and intuitive interface, with drag-and-drop ease. Using the simple tools map, you create and manipulate your desired project. Features are easy to find, and the tool bars are accessible and logical to use.
The OmniGraffle interface is less obviously intuitive and a little more time-consuming to navigate initially. Users employ desktop interface drag-and-drop to move and position. Those well-versed in the tools and features really appreciate thesmart grouping, snapping, and alignment tools that enable speed without compromising quality or accuracy.
Team Collaboration Tools
As a web app, Lucidchart was built to be a remote collaboration tool. Clients can use in-editor chat features, @mention commenting, and sharing to work real-time on live docs. Multiple colleagues in remote locations can engage urgently and productively around the world.
OmniGraffle is more limited in terms of collaboration. Files can be shared but need to be exported or distributed and this drags down the real-time review, so they won’t be as instantly actioned.
Lucidchart supports Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems. Lucid software integrates with project and meeting platforms like Slack and Microsoft Teams.
OmniGraffle works with Mac and iOS. There is strong integration with many favorite Apple tools like Apple Pencil.
Lucidchart promises exceptional customer support. The company offers responsive online help, including through its Learning Campus.
OmniGraffle is supported via email, phone and online sharing.
Both companies’ websites and social platforms are knowledge hubs containing tons of guidance, technical resources, and dedicated solutions.
Users can also turn to helpful online communities for hacks and advice.
Pricing Plans and Free Trials
- Free Trial – The free trial provides for three editable documents, 100 templates, and basic integration and collaboration. The trial is currently restricted to 7 days.
- Individual – $7.95 monthly
- Team – $6.67 monthly
- Enterprise – custom pricing
- Standard (for iOS) $59.99. One-time pricing deal.
- Pro (for iOS) $119.99 (One-time)
- Standard (for Mac) $149.99 (One-time)
- Pro (for Mac) $249.99 (One-time)
- Enterprise – custom pricing
What is Lucidchart good for?
Lucidchart offers dedicated solutions around diagrams and visual design with versatile and stylish imaginings.
What is OmniGraffle good for?
Long time users of OmniGraffle swear by their ‘graffies’. The software delivers all the tools for medium size businesses and smaller enterprises to present systems, processes and data in strong, easy to understand visual forms.
- Ease of use
- Compatible with Mac and Windows
- Integration with other popular platforms
- Team collaborations
- Several import/export options
- Free Trial
- Relies on internet connection
- Good tools and functionality
- Several import/export options
- No internet connection required
- Less intuitive user interface
- No free trial
- Limited to Mac and iPhone
If you’re new to diagramming and presentation tools, Lucidchart is our suggested software choice here.