Figuring out how to block websites on your Android Phone? Here are a few methods with detailed steps that can help you block websites on an Android phone right away.
What we cover
Can I Block Websites on My Android Phone?
Yes, you can block websites on your Android phone, and there can be several reasons you might want to do so. For instance, blocking websites can be an effective solution for maintaining personal productivity and enforcing parental controls.
Here are some additional reasons why learning to block websites on an Android device is important.
- It can be used as a distraction and addiction management.
- It reduces the risk of falling victim to online threats.
- It reduces data consumption.
- It helps prevent suspicious websites from tracking your online activity or collecting personal information.
Ways to Block Websites on an Android Phone:
While Android provides different methods and tools to block websites, we have also included the use of some 3rd party apps and tools that are simple and easy to implement.
Continue reading to check out all methods and find the easiest and most effective method.
Using Family Link
Family Link is a special app developed by Google that helps you set parental controls. This application allows you to set screen time limits, provide access to age-appropriate content, protect privacy, and secure your account and kids.
Here is how to use Family Link to block websites on the Android phone.
- Start by opening the Family Link app and pick the account from the list you want to set restrictions on.
- Now, click Controls, choose Content Restrictions, and find Google Chrome in the list.
- Now, look for the “Manage sites” section and choose which websites to approve or block.
- To add a website to the approved or blocked list, tap “Add a website” and type in the website address.
- Once you’re finished, tap “Close” at the top left corner, and you’ve successfully blocked your desired website.
Note: For the Family Link to work, you need to set Parental Controls prior. Hence, ensure the account you want to set restrictions are already added in the parental controls.
Using Google Chrome
With the increase in digital dangers, browsers on Android are coming equipped with some level of protection. Here are steps to block websites on an Android Phone using Google Chrome.
- Open the Google Chrome App on your Android phone.
- In the top-right corner of the homepage, you’ll see three dots. Tap on them.
- From the menu that appears, choose “Settings.”
- Once settings are open, navigate to the “Basics” section and tap “Privacy and Security.”
- Under “Privacy and Security,” look for the option “Safe Browsing” and click on it.
- Now, choose the level of protection by tapping on it, and you’re done.
Even though this approach is arguably the easiest, it doesn’t allow you to block websites of your choice. However, it can automatically recognize and block explicit and harmful websites.
BlockApp is a third-party app that can effectively upscale your digital well-being. Through this app, you can Block apps and websites according to your needs. Also, you can view your phone usage and set hourly or daily usage limits and weekly usage reports. The best part is that it is easy to use and provides extreme flexibility.
Here are steps to block websites on an Android Phone permanently.
- Head to the Play Store and install the app from the above link.
- Once the app is installed, provide the necessary permissions to proceed.
- After you’re on the homescreen, look for the “+” icon at the bottom, and tap on it.
- Now, look for the “Add Restrictions” option and tap on it.
- From the options (Apps and Websites), tap on Website and enter the website name in the field provided. Once done, tap on the tick, and you’re done.
Using OpenDNS on your Android phone, you’re routing your web traffic from your device to OpenDNS servers. When the OpenDNS servers filter the results, most explicit websites are blocked.
Here are steps to use OpenDNS to block websites;
- First, go to the settings on your Android device and find the Wi-Fi menu.
- Tap on the gear next to the Wi-Fi network you’re currently connected to open the settings.
- Look for the edit icon to modify the network settings.
- Now head to the advanced settings and look for “DNS 1” and “DNS 2” settings.
- In the fields next to “DNS 1” and “DNS 2,” type in these numbers: 18.104.22.168 for “DNS 1” and 22.214.171.124 for “DNS 2.”
- Once you’ve added these, save your settings, and you’re done.
Note: The above steps don’t remain the same for every Android device as they change with the manufacturer and the OS version. Hence, consider the above steps as a reference.
Unfortunately, even though this approach can block all websites that display explicit content permanently, you cannot manually block the website of your choice.
For complete control, you must sign up for an OpenDNS account, which can be lengthy and complex.
Congratulations on successfully blocking websites on your Android phone. Apart from the above methods, you can block websites through a VPN or an antivirus app.
However, as most don’t have subscriptions, we have focused on providing you with easy and free methods. If you have issues with the above methods, please leave a comment.
How to block websites on Chrome Mobile?
Open Chrome, tap three dots >> Select “Settings >> Go to “Privacy and Security” in “Basics” >> Tap “Safe Browsing” >> Choose protection level.
How to block websites on Android without an app?
You can block websites on Android without an app using the OpenDNS.
How to block adult content on Google?
You can easily block adult content on Google using any of the above methods (OpenDNS, BlockApp, Safe Browsing, and Family Link).