Canva offers a variety of features for editing images or making them from scratch. One of the many features of Canva also includes the gradient feature that allows users to add multiple colors and overlays to make stunning content.
Today’s round-up focuses on how to make a gradient in Canva. We’ll make sure to offer the simplest guide on how you can easily make gradients and use the countless color options to create a medley of beautiful colors.
Similarly, aside from creating a gradient, we’ll also show you how you can add a gradient on top of images and arrange the elements.
What we cover
How to make Gradients in Canva
Creating a gradient in Canva is quite simple and you’ll only need to take a couple of steps to create one. For new users who aren’t well-versed in the Canva app, the following steps will show you how you can easily create a gradient:
1. Create/open the page that you’re working on in Canva.
2. Go to ‘Elements’ and choose a shape.
3. Draw the shape on the drawing board. If you want the gradient to cover the entire page, select the square shape from ‘Elements’ and draw it from edge to edge.
4. Click on the ‘Color Selection’ tool.
5. Scroll down and choose the gradient style.
6. Scroll back up and click on the gradient color.
7. Choose the colors that you want.
With these steps, you should be able to create a gradient for all of your artwork. Keep in mind that there are plenty of gradients that you can choose from and the app allows you to choose any color of your choice.
If you can’t seem to find the right color for your artwork from the gradient, Google the hex code for the color and paste it into the search bar on the color selection tool. This method will ensure that the desired color is filled inside the gradient.
If you don’t want to do the legwork and want a ready-made gradient for your artwork, you can simply search for ‘Gradient’ in the search bar on the Elements tab. Make sure to pick the ‘Gradients’ from the ‘Graphics’ menu so you may be able to edit the colors.
If you choose a gradient from under the ‘Photos’ selection, you won’t be able to edit the colors for your artwork. Moreover, some premium gradients are available for Canva Pro users, and if you’re using the free version, a handful of gradients won’t be available to you.
How to add a Gradient overlay to images in Canva
The process of adding a gradient overall to images in Canva is quite simple as well and you just need to take a couple extra steps. Follow the steps below to add a gradient overlay to your images.
1. Upload an image to the drawing board.
2. Select a square shape from the elements.
3. Click on the color selection tool > Scroll down and choose a gradient.
4. Once the gradient is added to the picture, click on the ‘Transparency’ button.
5. Adjust the transparency of the gradient.
If you’re working with a solid image, keep the transparency at 50-60% for best results but it’s up to you to decide what you want. Similarly, if you want to add some text or other layers later on and want the gradient to overlay them as well, you can adjust each element later on as well.
To adjust or change the positing on any element, follow these steps:
1. Add an element, in this case, let’s add some text.
2. Select the text and right-click on it.
3. Select Layer > Send backward.
Now the text will be overlayed by the gradient as well.
How do you get the gradient effect in Canva?
The gradient effect can be selected from the color section tool and once you add a gradient, you can change the gradient styles as well as the colors of the gradient on Canva.
How to do a gradient blur in Canva?
The transparency tool can be used to blur the gradient in Canva. This feature will come in handy if you want a gradient overlay on your images and other artwork.