Canva offers different designs to work with, and the best part is that the mind map is one among them. In this guide, we will help you create a mind map and provide tips for creating an engaging one.
Create a Mind Map in Canva
Considering that Canva offers free preset templates that significantly help you ease up the design development process, we have provided steps to create a mind map using Canva templates. In the later part of the guide, we have also provided steps for creating a manual mind to get you all covered.
Create a Mind Map using Templates
- Start by navigating to Canva and sign in with your credentials. Once you’re signed in, get started by clicking on the Create a design button present at the top right corner and search for Mind Map in the search box associated with it.
- Once the new design featuring a blank canvas is loaded, navigate to the Editor panel on the left. Next, click on Designs and search for Mind Map to get access to available Canva mind map templates.
- Now, look for the mind map that matches your requirements and click on it to add it to the blank canvas. Once it is added, start making adjustments to it.
- Once you’re done making changes, click on Share and then Download. By doing so, you’re displayed with Download options. Next, set the File types as PDF/PNG and click on the Download button.
Create a Manual Mind Map
- Start by repeating Step 1, and once the design is created, add elements to recreate a mind map. To get started, start using Shapes/Graphics, which can be found under the Elements tab in the Editor panel on the left.
- For demonstration, we have added a few shapes and created a sample mind map. In the below mind map, we have added the blocks by enabling quick flow, which can be done by selecting the shape and clicking on Enable Quick Flow from the options that appear on right-clicking it.
- After the quick flow is enabled, you’re displayed with arrows that can be dragged and connected to other blocks. For a better understanding, refer to the image below.
- While the manual mind created was a sample, if you’re planning on creating one without using preset templates, consider the tips below for an engaging result.
- Organize information hierarchically with a logical structure.
- Maintain consistent formatting using colors, shapes, and fonts for a visually appealing look.
- Enhance visual engagement by adding relevant images, icons, or symbols.
- Use keywords and short phrases to represent ideas for clarity and simplicity.
- Keep a balanced level of complexity, avoiding overcrowding with too much information.
- Differentiate categories with color coding for easy comprehension.
- Provide clear and descriptive labels for each branch or node to avoid confusion.
- Allow sufficient whitespace for readability, preventing the mind map from looking cluttered.
- Add detail progressively, starting with broad concepts and expanding into specifics.
- Create catchy and engaging headings for main ideas to attract attention.
- Use connectors to illustrate relationships between different ideas for cohesiveness.
- If possible, incorporate interactive elements such as hyperlinks or tooltips.
- Once you’re happy with the result, repeat Step 4 from the above approach, and you have an engaging mind map added to your local storage.
Congratulations on creating a mind map in Canva!
Canva is arguably the best way to create mind maps, and while making a few for demonstration, we had no complaints and were able to put all our thoughts into the design without restrictions.
If you aren’t happy with Canva and want a simpler alternative, try checking out online mind map creators like Mindmup.