Gantt Chart is one of the most used project management tools. This guide will explain its components and provide necessary insights on creating an engaging one on Canva.
What we cover
Components of a Gant Chart
Before working on the Gantt Chart, it is essential to consider the below components to avoid confusion. Starting with the vertical ones it features Tasks, and the horizontal ones represent the Timeline. Here is a quick summary of the rest of the components:
- Bars: Represented in horizontal markers which display the duration
- Arrows: Used to link bars works as dependencies that represent the order.
- Diamonds: Used to mark the milestones, accomplishments, or important dates.
- Assignees: Assignees are labels allotted to the task and can be seen usually attached to the bars.
- Progress: The progress bar is placed over the bars, representing the progress of the specific task associated with the bar.
- Dateline: A vertical line marked on the Gantt Chart represents the current date.
Make Gantt Chart in Canva
With awareness of the components of the Gantt Chart, you can proceed with creating the Gantt Chart. Here are the steps for it:
- Begin by navigating to Canva and sign in with your credentials. Once you’re logged in, look for the Create a design button and click on it. Next, choose Whiteboard from the available designs to get started.
Note: The reason for considering a Whiteboard for the Gantt Chart is because it has no dimensions. This ability turns into an advantage as you can use the space to extend the Gantt Chart according to your requirements without restrictions.
- After the new design is loaded, navigate to the Editor panel on the left and click on Templates. Next, in the search box associated with it, look for the Gantt Chart.
- By following these steps, you’ll see various Gantt Chart templates. Now, choose the one that suits your needs best and click on it to incorporate it into the design.
- Once the Gantt Chart template is included in the design, make adjustments to ensure you are content with the outcome. Here are some tips you need to consider while making modifications to your Gantt Chart:
- List everything you need to do and essential points to achieve during your project.
- Decide when each task will begin and when it should be finished to create a timeline for the whole project.
- Estimate how much time each task will take so you have a realistic schedule for finishing the entire project.
- Ensure tasks are appropriately connected so finishing one task doesn’t stop another from starting.
- Use different colors for tasks to make it easy to see and understand the different types of activities or project stages.
- Create a complete view of your project timeline, highlighting critical points so you can see the whole duration of the project.
- After you have made changes, ensure you share it with your teammates or the project members allocated to the tasks, and you’re done.
Congratulations on creating an engaging Gantt Chart in Canva!
We had no issues creating the Gantt Chart and felt that the users with Canva for Teams could make the best use of it. While it is reliable, we suggest using it for small teams and projects, as it cannot handle massive projects with limited tools.
Hence, as an alternative, consider using Microsoft Excel, which is loaded with tools and features to handle a large Gantt Chart.