Canva is one of the best online design platforms for creating engaging projects, as the tools it features are reliable and easy to work on with wide customization support.
Considering you’re looking for a way to paint on it, we will provide detailed steps on how to use Canva tools to draw and mimic paint effects.
What we cover
Paint on Canva using the Draw option
To begin with, you have limited tools in the Draw option. However, if you’re creative with the tools on offer, you can create engaging drawings. Here is a quick demonstration:
- Start by opening Canva and sign in with your credentials. Once you’re on the home screen, begin by creating a new design. As you’re trying to paint for the first time, we suggest using a Whiteboard.
- After the blank whiteboard is displayed, navigate to the options on the left and click on Draw. Now, pick any drawing tool and begin drawing.
- If you notice, only a few drawing tools are displayed. However, you can use tools beyond these. To do that, click on Elements on the left, search for the shape/element in the search box, and hit Enter.
- After the results are displayed, click on See all next to Shapes to see all available shapes. Likewise, you can do the same for Graphics, Photos, Videos, Frames, etc.
- Once you find the element you’re interested in, drag and drop it on the Whiteboard and work on it.
The above steps will help you draw on Canva, and if you use its tools correctly, you can arguably create an environment close to a paint application.
Create Paint Effects using Filters
If you can’t draw an image using the Draw tools, you can use filters to create a paint effect on Canva. While the filters don’t fit well with all images, they provide promising results with most. Hence, try experimenting and follow the below steps to get started.
- Start by dragging and dropping the image onto the design from Uploads present on the left. If you haven’t uploaded the image, click on the Upload files button and select the image.
- After you’ve reverted to the old editor, add the image to the design and click on it. Doing so reveals the options on the top, from which click on Edit photo. Now search for the Paint Effects in the search box and click on See all.
- If you couldn’t perform the above step, you need to revert to the old editor as the Picture effects aren’t available on the new editor. To do that, click on Edit image, navigate to the message at the bottom of the Effects tab, click on click here, and then Revert to the old editor.
- Once you’ve reverted to the old editor, repeat Step 2, and by doing so, you’re displayed with the paint effects. Next, select the paint effect that matches your image, and for demonstration, we have chosen Windel.
Congratulations on learning how to paint on Canva!
Those mentioned above are the only available approaches to creating a drawing environment and mimicking the paint effect.
If you’re unhappy with them, we suggest using Paint/Paint 3D or a dedicated paint software like Inkscape, Sketchbook, or Adobe applications for more control over the drawing and access to tools.