It is important to learn how to add footnotes to a document because it provides readers with additional information, references, or clarifications related to the discussed topics.
If you’re trying to add footnotes to a document in Canva, you will be left disappointed as there isn’t a tool/option to add one. However, worry not as there is a way around to add footnotes in Canva manually, and here are steps for it:
Add Footnotes in Canva
- Begin by navigating to Canva and sign in with your credentials. Once you’re signed in, open the project you’re working on from the Recent designs by clicking on it.
- However, if you haven’t started yet, get started by clicking on the Create a design button and choosing a design [Doc/Document].
- With the new/existing design loaded, start working on the design. For more engaging designs and to ease the work, try checking out and using templates under the Design tab from the Editor panel.
- After you’re done with the design and are ready to add the footnote, ensure the body text is provided with superscript/reference numbers.
- With superscript numbers added, navigate to the end of the body text and press L to add a line to the document. For a better understanding, refer to the image below.
- After the line is added, press T to add the text box and replace the text inside it with the footnotes. Here are some tips on how to get the footnotes right:
- Stick to one format for footnotes throughout your document for a polished look.
- Keep footnotes concise by including enough information so it doesn’t overwhelm the readers and also add value.
- Use a smaller font size for footnotes to set them apart, ensuring they are still easy to read.
- Follow the guidelines for your chosen citation style consistently for a professional finish.
- Always finish each footnote with a period and use commas and semicolons appropriately.
- Also, double-check your sources in footnotes to maintain accuracy and credibility.
- If your footnote features a link that needs to be added, select the text, press Ctrl + K / Command + K, and add the hyperlink.
- If you have done everything right, you will have a result like below. Once you’re done and happy with the result, click on Share > Download > Download button to download the design. While doing so, ensure you set the File type according to your requirements.
Congratulations on adding footnotes to Canva!
Even though Canva lacks the option to add footnotes, following the above steps and adding a little creative touch can make it easy. However, if you aren’t happy with the results, use conventional text editors like Word to gain additional flexibility and generate the best results.